Friday, May 16, 2014

Beer To Pick Up This Weekend: Hoegaarden Wit Blanche


It's that day again: Friday! Some weeks Friday just sort of comes out of no where, but then some weeks you are literally counting the minutes until its arrival. This week was one of those weeks. I'm not sure why, nothing bad happened. I was just ready for Friday. So ready that the second I got out of work, I made a Kroger run and picked up a 6-pack of Hoegaarden. And Pine Sol. I needed Pine Sol.

This was one of the first "good" beers I ever liked. Now, I'm not a beer snob, good is subjective. I think Natural Light is a good beer. But I think I'm alone there. I really love how carbonated it is. And everyone in my family drinks it. It's sort of our thing. Anyway, back to Hoegaarden. I remember the first time I had it. My husband (then boyfriend) picked it up for us to share. I was trying to be cool and pretend to like fancy beers, when really I wasn't that into them yet. But this beer. It was love at first sip. A lot of times, those first beers that you like you grow out of. I used to drink Lienenkugel Sunset Wheat ALL THE TIME. Now, I think it tastes really weird and fake and oddly like blueberries, which is probably why I liked it in the first place. You grow up (a little) and so do your taste buds. But Hoegaarden has hung around for me. It's just really good.

So what does it taste like? This one was really hard to pin down. It's sparkly and sweet but has a dry aromatic taste to it. There is something there that I can't seem to describe. It's an earthy sweetness that is just magical. It's fruity, but not citrusy. Perhaps it just tastes like nostalgia. It tastes like hot summer nights in Olie's backyard, hanging with friends, drinking and grilling. It tastes like sweat and love and charcoal. I can't drink it without thinking about some of the best nights of my life. It's a throwback. It's wonderful.

Never had it? Now is the time. Go pick up a 6-pack, grab your favorite people and fire up the grill. I think you might taste it too.

Have a great weekend. I can feel summer coming and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment