Tuesday, May 13, 2014

With Cleaning Comes Life Lessons


Sorry for the lack of posts lately. I've just been in a bit of a rut. Especially in the kitchen. Everything I cook lately just seems.......not amazing. I've made some yummy stuff, but nothing has really turned out the way I wanted it to. So, I've been focusing on some other things. Mainly art and my house. And cleaning!

Last weekend I completely gutted my closet. The picture above is my 'before' closet. And that's not including the closet full of only dresses. I felt like it was high time for a fresh start. It's also pretty ridiculous to have a ton of clothes that you don't wear. I got rid of A LOT of clothes. To be honest, the whole process was strangely liberating. I didn't realize what a stressor my closet had become. You know how frustrating it is when you want to wear that super cute top but you just can't find it? Yeah, that was my morning routine. I knew the day that I looked for twenty minutes for a pair of underwear that something had to change. Not a particular pair of underwear. Just any pair. And I had just done laundry. That's a problem. The picture below is all of the stuff that was just sitting in the bottom of the closet. Pretty terrifying.

The process was a bit overwhelming. But I got organized quickly. Anything that was really ratty got trashed. You wouldn't believe the stuff I was holding onto (yes you would, we all do it). Anything that was old/had a small stain got sent to the Goodwill. Anything that was still relatively new and in good shape I took to Plato's Closet.

Ok, so......have you been to Plato's Closet? It's kind of awesome. There is a ton of teenager-y crappy stuff, but there are also some real gems. You have to look for the diamond in the rough, which is always fun. I got two super cute t-shirts for $8. One was from Old Navy and one was from the Gap. And they look brand new. I also bought a pair of glitter Nine West heels (I had too, I couldn't help myself) for $12. And I made a little cash off of the stuff that I sold. Not much. But it's better than nothing.

Then I went to Anthropologie to get a new dress (since I got rid of about ten and Anthropologie has the best dresses). Cheap dresses are too short for me, I just have to accept it. But then I got a great dress, regularly priced at $128, for $38! I mean....you can't beat that!

All this is a round-about way of saying I don't think I will ever buy anything full price again. Everything always goes on sale, why should I pay some crazy jacked up price? I'm ready for good quality, more grown-up clothes, that will last for a while. I thought that would mean more money, but with sales and my newfound love for Plato's Closet, I can spend the same if not less on my clothes than before. I just have to be smarter about it. Which is a challenge, but makes the whole thing much more fun.

I swear, 26 is the year of life lessons. Some of them are hard, but some have been fun. In a nutshell: Less clothes, better quality, never full price. Check out my 'after' closet. I love looking in it. I can see everything right away. It's awesome.

Thanks for letting me share my little life lesson with you. Any tips for cleaning out your closet? How do you decide what stays and what goes? Also....any shopping tips? Let's all help each other be as awesome as we can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment